What's Happen at Avenida!
Taco Tuesday – Every Tuesday
We will feature three tacos and three sides for just $20 per person, plus tax and gratuity.
Refreshing margaritas, $5 each, will be served in six fresh fruit flavors including mango, passion fruit, prickly pear, watermelon, peach and blood orange.
Taco Tuesdays at Avenida are sure to become the neighborhood’s most affordable and fun meal.
Cena Completa – Dinner for 4 people for $10 per person or less
Avenida offers dinner for 4 people for $10 per person or less –
Dine in or take out the Cena Completa of your choice.
Our delectable Pollo a la brasa(rotisserie style chicken),
Grilled flat iron steak,
or the fresh fish of the day.
It also includes 2 side dishes and our incredible sauces that have been specially chosen to complement these delicious entrees.
Don’t forget to order your favorite appetizer and dessert to complete the meal.
Available Tuesday, Wednesday,Thursday and Sunday. Call 267.385.6857 for Take Out tonight.
Avenida Recipes – Spicy Roasted Potatoes
3 large Yukon gold potatoes, skin on, cut into 6ths, then chopped
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 small Spanish onion, finely diced
1 jalapeno, finely diced, seeds and all
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
2 tablespoons corriander
1 teaspoon cumin
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Zest of 1 lime
1. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan pan, cover with cold water and add 1 tablespoon salt. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until the potatoes fall apart when a fork is inserted, approximately 20 to 25 minutes. Drain well.
2. Heat butter over medium heat in a large saute pan. Add the onion and jalapeno and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the ancho chile powder, corriander and cumin. Stir until combined.
3. Add the potatoes, salt and pepper and toss in the mixture, slightly mashing the potatoes with a metal spatula.
4. Press the potato mixture into one even layer and cook until golden brown on the bottom. Turn over and gently mash again into an even layer and cook until bottom is golden brown.
5. Stir in the cilantro and lime zest and transfer to a bowl.
Black Bean and Bacon PureeIngredients
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
3 slices bacon, chopped
2 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
2 cans black beans, drained
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon coriander
2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
1 to 2 teaspoons Cholula hot sauce
½ cup chopped cilantro leaves
¼ cup scallions, sliced on bias for garnish garnish
1 cup queso fresco, garnish
1. Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat.
2. Add extra-virgin olive oil and bacon.
3. Render fat 2 minutes then add onion and garlic, cook 5 minutes.
4. Add 1 can of beans to the pan and season them with salt, pepper, cumin, coriander and ancho chili powder.
5. Then mash them with a potato masher, combining them with bacon and onions.
6. When they are combined, add remaining can of beans and combine with mashed beans.
7. Add Cholula sauce to your taste and serve.
8. Chopped cilantro, scallions and queso fresco.
Chefs Kim and Edgar Star On CBS News’ “Talk Philly”
Chefs Kim and Edgar Alvarez of Avenida Restaurant* impressed CBS Philly viewers, and “Talk Philly” co-host Pat Ciarrocchi when they appeared on the Nov. 22 noon show entitled, “Alternative Holiday Dishes.”
On the menu was Turkey Mole, Roasted Pumpkin Soup with toasted pepitas, Chorizo Cornbread Stuffing, and Vanilla Flan. Click here to view the broadcast.
Want to whip up a healthy holiday feast?
If staying fit is your 2013 resolution, get on the health kick this holiday season. Thanks to the work Chef Kim Alvarez is doing with Pamela MacElree of Urban Athlete in Mt. Airy, here’s a menu that’s sure to keep the pounds off—and the family happy.
On the Menu:
• Zucchini and Caramelized Onion Soup
• Spinach Salad, with Anjou pears, pumpkin seeds, queso fresco, lime-basil vinaigrette
• Spice-Rubbed Turkey London Broil
• Balsamic Brussels Sprouts
• Cranberry Orange Compote
• Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Vidalia Onions
• Butternut Squash Apple Crisp, with almond oat crumble
Click here for all the recipes.